Monday, August 24, 2009

Abigail Grace Voll has Arrived!!!




This is the journal entry that is being put in Abby's book



August 24th, 2009

Today is your birthday my precious little one! By 8am you should arrive by c-section at St. Luke’s Regional Medical Center in Boise, Idaho. This morning daddy was up by 4am and I woke up at around 4:30. I am such a bundle of nerves. Trying to keep myself busy and making sure that we have everything ready to go to the hospital. I am driving your daddy bonkers! We prayed fro you and the surgery before we left for the hospital this morning as well. We prayed that the delivery would be a good one and that you would be a healthy baby girl! We left the house about 5:40am to arrive at the hospital at 6am. Once we got to the hospital we were taken back to the recovery room to get ready for surgery. The nurses in there were great! After changing into my gown and getting into bed she started the iv line which took two tries (I have a big bruise on the underside of my left arm from the first try). I had one of the anesthesiologists come in to talk with us and explain what would happen, Dr Lowder came in not to long before I was taken back as well. Mom & Kallen were out in the waiting room the entire time. Heather Hanson (one of my best friends) & Rich McGovert (our pastor) got to come back for a few minutes before it was time to go back to meet Abby.

Once I was in the operating room Dr Centano, who was the anesthesiologist that I met with back in May to discuss the method of your delivery, was there so that made me feel better that he knows of my medical history with the spinal cord stimulator. Daddy had to wait outside until I had been given my spinal before he could be let in. So, I am sitting up on the operating table with Dr Lowder in front of me holding me up and Dr Centano is working on the spinal. Within about a minute of the spinal going in I was going numb from the chest down and could not feel my legs or feet. Daddy finally came in as they had just started cutting me open. I remember him coming in and then the next thing I remember is hearing you cry! You were born at 7:46am on August 24, 2009.As soon as I heard you crying I was crying on the OR table! I do remember that either Dr Lowder or Dr Werdell (who was assisting) said something about had you not been delivered by c-section then we would not have been able to induce that day because you had not yet dropped!! That explains why I could feel every move you made inside my tummy!! Daddy was taking pictures of everything! I have to admit that I am a bit jealous of him...he got to see you first, hold you first, everything!! I know that you had his heart as soon as they pulled you out because you had mine! Daddy says that Dr Werdell had to push up high on me to get you to come down and I felt nothing – I was oblivious to it all. While the nurses were taking care of you, helping you to breathe better, clean you up and weigh you which daddy was taking pictures of, the doctors were trying to deliver the placenta and sew me up! I don’t remember to much of this except I heard the doctors discussing doing a tubal…..that caught my attention and I had to ask about it and they were actually talking about another patient they would be working on that day. It scared me because daddy and I haven’t decided yet if you will be an only child or if we will one day try to give you a baby brother or sister.

When we reached the recovery room I finally got to hold you. I could hardly believe how tiny you were! You weighed in at 5lbs 12oz and were 18 inches long! Much smaller than Dr Lowder predicted – he said you would be about 7lbs. I am still trying to figure out where he got that number from because I didn’t gain any weight while pregnant with you. Maybe it’s an average birth weight for most babies. I remember holding you and kissing you and just looking at you! You are a beautiful baby!! Mama & papa came in and got to hold you and love on you! Papa was afraid to hold you because you are so tiny and I think he was afraid you might break. Heather was also there and got to hold you and love on you as well! I would have to say that you stole everyone’s hearts this morning. I know we were in recovery for about 2 hours, they wouldn’t move us to our room until I could move my legs and feet. I remember that that sensation came back slowly but I was happy to be able to finally move them! I also was able to breastfeed you for the first time while we were in there.

We were finally moved up to the mother-baby floor and we were in room 8009. We had a great view from our window. We were able to get set up in the room and you were in there most of the time with us! Dr Cron came to see you that morning to check you out. He gave you a clean bill of health! We got some really cute pictures of him holding you up with your bare bottom!

I held you most of the afternoon & evening. Pastor Rich, Donna & Esther came up to meet you that night. Daddy stayed at the hospital as long as he could that night but then had to go home because he had to go to work the next day. Your daddy had the biggest smiles on his face whenever he was holding you or just looked at you! Because I had been given some sleeping pills earlier that evening you spent your first night in the nursery, but that gave mommy time to rest as well.

Oh, and today is also a special day because it was 4 years ago today that mommy & daddy arrived in Boise to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment